(urth) Fuligin in illustration

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 10:22:16 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>wrote:

> this rendering does bring up one other question I've been toying with,
> which is, wouldn't these future ice age folk be sorta hairy.  Anything I've
> seen has a sort of modern whiteboy look, ie, not so hairy.  I suppose he
> might look like a manly russian old school dude.  I mean, he's a wolf and
> the name Severian is Russian, No?  anyway, I don't really think there is
> much mention of his hair, other than the black hairs on the back of his
> hands and head, and his shaving.  I don't think there is anything to say
> he's not a hairy chested man.

There's a passage -- I can't recall whether it's in the Book proper or
Castle of
the Otter -- where either Severian or Wolfe says that each continent has its
proper racial "type" of person, and that after invaders have been there a
few
thousand years they begin to look like the people they've displaced.

By that logic I would expect Severian's people to look like native South
Americans.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----

I once absend-mindedly ordered Three Mile Island dressing in a restaurant
and, with great presence of mind, they brought Thousand Island Dressing and
a bottle of chili sauce. -- T. Pratchett