(urth) AEG: More Theology

James B. Jordan jbjordan4 at cox.net
Tue Oct 28 20:54:07 PDT 2008

Theological allegory part II.

         Wolfe's novels are always polyphonic. I'll leave the noir
and Lovecraft threads to others, and try and do my duty by pointing
to the theological/Biblical ones. Or at least contributing to that aspect.

I. From the book of Revelation:
         In Revelation 12, the woman is attacked by the Dragon.
Cassie plays missionary daughter Mariah (Mary). Reis is out to poison
dragons throughout the world with poison gold.
         With the Dragon's initial defeat, he goes after the new form
of the woman, who is given wings of a great eagle and taken to a
wilderness (12:14). I assume it is clear how this happens to Cassie
at the end of the novel. Also, while a good interpretation of
Revelation sees the Dragon cast out of heaven with the ascension of
Jesus Christ, traditional misunderstanding (a la Milton) sees this as
the Dragon cast down to earth at the time of the initial rebellion of
Lucifer. Wolfe may be using this motif in connection with the
"arrival" on earth "before the Flood" of Satan/Squiddie.
         The Sky Dragon, fallen to humanity, manifests himself
through Sea Beast, Land Beast, and Beast Image (Rev. 13). All this
seems to be in AEG. Read the chapter and see how Wolfe puts a
SF/Fantasy spin on it all. Squiddie is located in the water now, but
he has powers on the land (the ATF, etc.). People worship the Sea
Beast/Squiddie. It enlists people to make war on the "saints" all
over the earth. The Sea Beast's servant, the Land Beast, seeks to
control the economy (gold) (13:17).
         The Dragon, as Sea Beast, also manifests as an evil city,
Babylon, a city seeking to control the economy (ch. 17-18). This city
is thrown into the sea in 18:21.
         Revelation 22:20 ends, "Come, Lord Jesus." This is exactly
how AEG ends.
         Of course, Lovecraft uses Revelation's evils also, and is
concerned with society as Wolfe is. How much of Wolfe's read if
Revelation is here influence by HPL I'll leave to those with more
Lovecraftian experties to say.

II. Foot would and head wound.
         In Genesis 3, the deliverer will suffer a foot wound while
crushing the head of the Ur-Serpent. So, it might seem that Gideon
Chase is the deliverer and Reis the serpent. Yet, Christ is head of
the Church, the Bride, and so the bashing in of Reis's head, in
context, is a crucifixion.
         So, who is Gideon Chase who is also Gilbert Corby?
         First, he would seem to be the offspring of the sons of God
(angels / Wolder men) and the daughters of men. Such men became
nephilim, strong ones, men of renown (Gen. 6). [Note: though this is
a common read of Genesis 6, it does not hold water in the text.
Anyway...] The Wolder men try to seduce human women. ("Aliens want
our women!!") Woldercan is a dangerous and possibly evil place. Fish
talk and try to mess you up (agents of Squiddie?). The forests are
evil, period. Women's periods, the "distress of women," sometimes
called "the curse" by women, seems to be a multiplied factor on Woldercan.
         As an offspring of "angels/demons," it's no surprise that
Chase has a black heavenly chariot. Voices inside the chariot tempt
Cassie. She's not bright enough to perceive that, but Chase feared
it, which is why he did not want her to drive it. Cassie is not real
bright, but she's pretty innocent, and in her exalted semi-angelic
status is even more so.

         Second, Gil-Bert means "bright pledge/hostage," with the Gil
part as "hostage."
         Corby, in English/Scandavian means "Dweller in Cor's Land,"
but in French it's a diminutive of "crow." This is Wolfe. I vote for Crow.
         Gideon, of course, was a warrior messiah of the book of
Judges. He fought the followers of Baal, beginning by tearing down an
image of Baal. Judges 6ff.
         Chase means "Dweller of the Wood/Huntingground."

         So: Gideon of the Forest = A Hostage Crow
         I'm not getting a BFO or AHA moment here. Given the evil
forests of Woldercan, Gideon of the Forest might indicate a mixture
of good and evil in him. Gil Corby is more mysterious, if I've
translated aright, and I'm not sure of that.

         Third, however, at the moment (and I've only read the book
once), Gideon Chase seems like an Old Testament leader who initially
is enlisted by the ruling powers to oppose Reis (think of "The
Detective of Dreams") but eventually comes to support him, and
eventually to turn over the Bride to him. At one point Cassie,
speaking of his being pursued, calls him Gideon Chased, but is that
not also Gideon Chaste? The footwound of Gideon (so common and so
multivalent in Wolfe) could be that of Jacob, something that both
humbles him and also enables him to enter a new and more saintly life.

III. Transformations:
         It's been pointed out that Reis seems mainly a power seeker
initially, but then becomes messianic and sacrificial. I think also
that Chase has a mixed past, but becomes a new man. Reis dies for
Cassie, but in a way Chase has already done so, by letting her go.
         Big guess, and I have no way to know, but I think that,
inspired by Reis, Chase returns to Woldercan to begin some
housecleaning. Cassie, who desired to "be somebody and do something"
goes to help him.

FWIW.

Nutria

James B. Jordan