(urth) Fuligin in illustration

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 16:55:36 PDT 2008

I think the point of fuligin is that it doesn't reflect light at all. Albedo
0.

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Son of Witz <sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org>wrote:

> Old topic, I know. hopefully it's not unwelcome to respond to some very old
> posts.
>
> I'm an illustrator, and I've been sketching some scenes from this book over
> the last month or so.  Fuligin is a challenge that I didn't think it would
> be.
>
> First of all, while the text says:
> "the hue fuligin, which is darker than black, admirably erases all
> folds, bunchings, and gatherings so far as the eye is concerned, showing
> only a featureless dark."
>
> Does anyone read this as saying that highlights wouldn't show up?
> It seems to me that it says "folds, bunchings, and gatherings" – all things
> that create shadows, become a "featureless dark".  But what of highlights?
> Surely when a light (like the claw's) hits it strongly, the cloak would
> catch some of the highlights. I picture this as a lot dimmer of a highlight
> than an ordinary black, but still a highlight.
>
> Anyway, I'm aiming that my illustrations would be considered "legitimate"
> if they were seen by someone familiar with the story.  Does anyone have
> thoughts on this, especially ones that would argue with what I've said above
> about highlights?
>

> (sorry about the lack of formatting here)
>
> From: Dan Parmenter <dan at lec.com>
> Subject: (urth) cover art
> Date: 16 Jan 2001 12:40:19
>
> Hurm, I still like the Pennington (original UK) covers best.  But why
> is it so hard for artists to draw a fuligin cloak?  You'd think it
> would be easy, but these artists always insist on making it look like
> it's made of something shiny and reflective.  And they can't seem to
> resist putting a shirt on him.  I'm not looking for a Frazetta Conan
> here, but the first impression should be of the "classic torturer",
> usually depicted topless (see "The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins" by
> Dr. Seuss for a good example of the type, and come to think of it, an
> early example of the "compassionate torturer" (urgh, that sounds a bit
> like GWB, sorry)).
>
> ____________________________________
>

> I agree, the Pennington covers rule.
>
> First, Yes, Fuligin is a big challenge for the artist.  It just looks wrong
> when you don't put any shadows or highlights.  I imagine it would be VERY
> strange looking in real life, as the text demonstrates.
> IF it doesn't catch highlights, how do you put any subtlety into his mask?
> how do you differentiate the cloak from his pants from his boots?
> The artist is either force to do it literally, which looks very awkward, or
> forced to stylize it, I've used a white edging that is not intended to be
> physically present as a detail
>
> Second:
> the shirtless factor. I'm sorry. I've drawn this several times now. It is
> incredibly difficult to not make Severian look like he's a gay leather-daddy
> BDSM fetishizer.  (absolutely nothing wrong with gay leather daddies, just
> [...]

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer
http://www.danehyoakes.com

I once absend-mindedly ordered Three Mile Island dressing in a restaurant
and, with great presence of mind, they brought Thousand Island Dressing and
a bottle of chili sauce. -- T. Pratchett