(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 50, Issue 42

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Mon Oct 27 05:06:33 PDT 2008

Dan wrote:
> I don't think Woldercan is outside the galaxy. My statement was one of
> incredulity. I've since reread the last two paragraphs and suppose a great
> deal of time passed between them. I'd assume that she visited Gid on
> Woldercan and realized he didn't really love her. Distraught over the loss
> of both men in her life, her career, her faithless friends, health, youth
> etc etc, she set off on a one way trip to oblivion. What she said to Gid
> about driving his hopper would seem to resonate with this method of suicide.

I think Gid still loved her even after the loss of her mojo, but she
might not love him, at least not enough to turn from her grief over
Bill. The Pygmalion reference on p. 81 suggests this is an Eliza / Henry
/ Freddy love triangle. In the original play, Eliza marries Freddy.

> One could try to make the case that Gid took pity on her and maybe told or
> taught her what she could do to resurrect Wally somewhere where the laws of
> physics would allow it.  But the last line doesn't seem to be an invocation
> as much as a cry of despair.

Even with different laws of physics I doubt Gil would think they could
resurrect the dead. But if she got far enough away and could send an
ethermail she might be able to send Bill messages back in time, and
might hope to change the past. From the point of view of an object
moving relative to us a long distance away, events that are in the past
to us can be present or future to it. The paradoxes involved are one
reason that relativity does not allow FTL travel or messages. Wolfe
instead allows FTL and the time paradoxes.