(urth) silk for calde bumpersticker

Stephen Case scase at olivet.edu
Thu Nov 6 09:51:22 PST 2008

Regarding the "Silk for Calde" bumpersticker:  this is great!  I will immediately print it off and attach to the back of my Metropolitan . . . that is, unless anyone has a version that looks a bit more "spray-painted" (or, I should say, "chalked").

Regarding the posts on politics, the first thing that struck me when I read Marc's post was also the exchange between Severian and Malrubius on the forms of government.  To me (who doesn't know much about Gene's political leanings) this seems to me more of a summation of a Christian (or at least Catholic) view of the ideal government (realized, of course, in the Church).  I think Gene might say something about Christians remembering that democracy isn't actually the most "Christian" form of government.  Like Malrubius gets Severian to realize, it's monarchy.  Of course, to a Christian the perfect monarch would be Christ.

A simple interpretation, to be sure, but that's how this passage has always struck me: a very Chestertonian explanation of a Christian view of politics.

-Steve