(urth) Severian as reverse Christ (or something)

Joe Burger burger at cnidarianreef.com
Fri Nov 21 13:49:52 PST 2008

I've always interpreted Wolfe's comments of Severian being Christian like to mean that he is not a Christian or Christ, but that there are many aspects of Severian that Christians can relate to. But the main theme of the series is not just a Christian one, is it a tying of many mythology's together that's main theme is the path of enlightenment that Severian goes through. It also shows how many different aspects of mythology are very much related and in some cases the same. I think if you have studied Gnosticism, Christianity, Buddhism etc, you will find many clues in the series to make you think you are reading a story that is pulling from one of those religions, but really it is pointing out the universal truths of them.

Ultimately I do not think Severian is at all supposed to be Christ. The story is about Severian's journey as one who is seeking knowledge and enlightenment, When he is fully enlighten only then can he bring salvation to Urth, represented by the new sun, when Severian finally becomes the Sun God he is able to save humanity. Apu-Punchau is another version of Severian, one who was on the path to enlightenment but never quite made it.

I think the story itself is to be read on a few different levels, Wolfe states this early on in the first book, the literal story is supposed to be readable but IMO  upon further analyses it doesn't make sense in many places, this is to lead you to interpret it at another level where it does makes sense etc.