(urth) Severian as reverse Christ (or something)

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Nov 21 13:20:19 PST 2008

Yes, exactly (to both of you). There have been many essentially
fictional reworkings of the Christ figure over the centuries, some
within and some, like Wolfe's, outside the traditional. Take the mystery
plays, for example. So it's necessary to set previous versions aside and
let the figure in question stand on his own and have his own meanings.

However, the similarities to Christ are strong enough to invite contrast
rather than comparison. It's Severian's anti-Christness (not
Antichristness!) that makes him a compelling figure despite the
theological weight one could place on him if one wanted to go there (and
probably make him less fun in the process).

And if I were a young priest on a skateboard trying to convert the
sci-fi geeks with a hip theistic interpretation of Wolfe, I'd start
exactly there. But I'm not really interested. ;)

I also have trouble with the time-loop concepts. I prefer to think of
the future Conciliation shining back through the ages---that's something
I can understand!

> Nice points David.
>
> I'll reiterate that I don't think any connection to the historical Jesus is necessary.  I'm certainly not talking about Jesus. I'm talking about the energy that Jesus embodied.
>
> though I do think this notion of looking backwards that Jordon and David bring up is good food for though.  It's very much like when Talos gives you a big elbo in the ribs and points out all the Frankenstein trappings, and says, elusively, that Frankenstein is inspired by this future event.
>
> I think it absolutely supports your notions of backshadowing.
>

> I should really try to hammer home that this Severian as Christ thing shouldn't be looked at too literally. Wolfe is playing with cosmology here, but this is not Divine Revelations (which the Bible is purported to be).  We can allow for some ill fits in a metaphor made by one MAN's mind when matched to the "Word of God".  I'd say don't get hung up on disproving it so much, because it offers a lot of meat to chew on when contemplating the story.
>

>> I think what's being undersold here is the significance of Wolfe's own
>> Catholicism.  I think it's pretty unlikely that we're meant to
>> understand Severian literally Jesus.
>> In fact, I submit that the differences between Severian's behavior and
>> that of Christ are likely significant to the ideas Wolfe wants to
>> convey.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 081121-0, 11/21/2008
Tested on: 11/21/2008 4:20:20 PM