(urth) AEG only semi-spoilish

Mo Holkar / UKG lists at ukg.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 02:01:10 PST 2008

At 00:03 20/11/2008, Dan'l wrote:
>So I don't suppose anyone on this list will be terribly surprised
>when I suggest that, in AN EVIL GUEST, Wolfe has similarly
>embedded Lovecraft's cosmology into the Christian ur-context.
>That Squiddie (Cthulhu) and R'lyeh and other Lovecraftiana are
>real in the novel seems beyond dispute. The cultists practice
>Lovecraftian nihilism, and it is "locally true" -- as long as they
>are under the influence of the GOOs, it may as well be true.

I'm happy to buy that -- I don't think Wolfe would have wanted to
handle that material on any other basis -- but I'd like to see an
exposition of the way the larger Christian picture might be seen to
inform the events of AEG, because to me it's not all clear.

best wishes,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki now at: