(urth) AEG only semi-spoilish

James Crossley ishmael at drizzle.com
Wed Nov 19 16:17:46 PST 2008

On 11/19/08 4:03 PM, "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <danldo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here goes Dan'l with his nutty theory again...
>
> My ongoing theory is that one of Wolfe's basic themes/memes/working
> methods is to embed non-Christian cosmologies into larger Christian
> contexts. That is, in these novels Christianity is ultimately true but some
> other belief system functions locally as if it were true.

I¹m not going to be able to back this up in any way, but I whole-heartedly
agree.  In the worlds of Wolfe¹s books, elaborate cosmologies appear to
belie Christian truth, but he always lets Jehovah peek through the cracks.
I imagine that¹s how Wolfe thinks it worked in the real world, too, with a
deepening pagan understanding of the world eventually giving way to the
revealed Christianity behind the scenes.

James