(urth) re silk is caldo

Tim Walters walters at doubtfulpalace.com
Thu Nov 6 11:19:59 PST 2008

> Aramini said:
> I do not feel that
> your average trapeze artist or even banker has any right to have input
> into government - but they can certainly show you how the trapeze works or
> how to apply for a loan."

If I don't like the trapeze artist's performance, I can go see a different
trapeze artist. If I don't like my dictator, I'm out of luck.

No matter how benevolent the dictator's intentions, he will go wrong with
no accountability. See Karl Popper's THE OPEN SOCIETY AND ITS ENEMIES for
a full treatment of this thesis.

This is leaving aside the obvious moral point that if one has to obey the
law, one should get a say in it.

--
Tim Walters | http://doubtfulpalace.com