(urth) Severian / Christ / Logos / Apocatastasis

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Mon Nov 24 14:50:17 PST 2008

>> (The world is lucky Wolfe doesn't want to found a new religion, like a
>> certain other (bad) sci-fi author did. He'd be dangerous!)
>>

> Ron Hubbard was an excellent writer. "Fear" is possibly the scariest book
> I have read.
>

> I find that hard to believe, but I'll take your word for it. ;)

> Well, there's no general resurrection and no judgment.  It's not clear that
> there's victory over a demonic power.
>
> And instead of serving as a genuine Last Day, it's just a hit of the reset
> button.
>
> Other than that, I guess it's exactly like the Second Coming.  Which is to
> say it's not much like the Second Coming at all.
>
> It's much more like the Flood.
>
> On 11/24/08, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> That's it exactly---Severian is the Executioner, or Harvester, of Urth. He dies and is resurrected, but that's a smaller part of his story. Christ will wield a flaming sword, but he hasn't yet, so that's a smaller part of his (so far). We think of him as promising Life, but that is impossible without his own Death; Severian is our Death, but he brings Life.
>>
>> They are complementary---almost mirror opposites. And yet ... what keeps this story from being a version of the Second Coming?
>>
>> (The world is lucky Wolfe doesn't want to found a new religion, like a certain other (bad) sci-fi author did. He'd be dangerous!)

The absence of resurrection and judgment are fairly critical, aren't
they? I suppose that would be evidence for the argument for Severian as
Christian, not Christ, figure ... in fact, as you note, he's got a
little Noah in him too.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 081124-0, 11/24/2008
Tested on: 11/24/2008 5:50:19 PM