(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 45, Issue 17

Yves Meynard meynard at videotron.ca
Mon May 12 18:25:40 PDT 2008

I was wondering why there was so much traffic on the list all of a
sudden and feared it was bad news followed by a rash of shocked
comments. Glad to find out it's a roll call instead -- I'll briefly
add my voice to the choir.

I'm a Canadian, first bought a Wolfe novel (_Shadow_) in 1981, the day
before my 17th birthday. I've met Gene, he's a very nice guy. His work
has influenced my writing -- I used to joke I wanted to be Gene Wolfe
when I grew up.

I'll second the recommendations for Vance and Crowley
enthusiastically. I really liked Mieville's _Perdido Street Station_
and _The Scar_. _Iron Council_, on the other hand, feels to me like
his writing has gone sloppy. I stopped about halfway through it and
expect to finish it some day, but it's been a disappointment.

- Yves