(urth) Cabin on the Coast Question

StoneOx17 at aol.com StoneOx17 at aol.com
Fri May 30 07:24:00 PDT 2008

In a message dated 5/30/2008 8:50:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
davetallman at msn.com writes:

> I expect that nothing physical happened between her and the King
> on that first visit when he left a damp towel. He just made her an
> offer and got her thinking. She made her decision the next morning
> when she left Tim asleep and went out to find Daniel.

This is a great discussion.

First, and a very minor point, I think Lissy used the towel and not
the King.  The King would have stayed outside.

Second, I think Tim was tricked.  I think the fairies can only take
people who are willing.  This is a trait commonly attributed to  the
Fair Folk, and the King says "I'll have no unwillin' hands about me
boat."

Was Lissy willing?  She may have been thinking about it, but had
she said "yes" yet?  I expect not.  The King says "We'd sooner
have a broth of a girl like yer Lissy than a great hulk of a lad like
yourself, but then too, we'd sooner be havin' one that's willin', for
the unwillin' girls are everywhere - I don't doubt but ye've seen it
yerself."

So here's a tentative timetable.

1. Tim and Lissy arrive at the cabin, make love, and fall asleep.
Later that night she goes out for a swim, and meets the King,
who makes her an offer.

2. Tim goes out for a morning swm, and when he comes back,
Lissy admonishes him for going out without a suit. (Why?  She
did it earlier. But maybe it's different if there are fairies  around.)

3. Tim and Lissy spend the day together and have the cookout
on the beach. She realizes how much of a male chauvanist he
is.

4. Lissy wakes up in the morning, and goes out to talk to the
King and try to decide whether to accept his offer.

5. Tim wakes up, notices Lissy missing, and after talking to
the police and calling his father, swims after the King's boat
and trades himself for Lissy.

4'. Tim swims back from the ocean and twenty years service,
and Lissy wakes up and mistakes him for Big Tim. Notice
Tim sees the remains of their cookout fire when he reaches
the beach, so this comes after 3 in the timeline. (So Tim would
indeed be wearing his trunks.)

While writing this, I had another idea. I'm now inclined to believe
the offer Lissy was entertaining (and had in this case quite
possibly accepted) from the King was more along the lines of
a one night stand than twenty years in Fairyland.

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.