(urth) How list works and questions to mailers

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Mon May 12 08:24:14 PDT 2008

On May 12, 2008, at 9:39 AM, Matthew Keeley wrote:

> Moorcock wrote "Black Blade," "Veteran of the Psychic Wars," and one
> other song for BOC. I used to be a pretty big Moorcock fan, but then
> I discovered Wolfe, who is so many times better. I remember someone
> on this list once explained why they disliked Moorcock, and I found
> I agreed completely.

There is that.

Although one could argue that "Rape and Forgiveness" is absolutely in
the Mervyn Peake tradition.

The thing I think is useful to remember about Moorcock is that he
represents an alternative theme in British fantasy; effectively, he's
championing the cause of Peake over Tolkien.  This has, of course,
been a fairly doomed battle, both in terms of sales popularity of the
respective authors and in terms of their influence on future
generations of writers.  And if you haven't read the Gormenghast
books...they're worth the time, at least _Titus Groan_ and
_Gormenghast_.  _Titus Alone_ is less clearly terrific, although it's
certainly got its moments.  The PBS miniseries thereof, also, totally
kicks ass and takes names.

Then it's complicated by the fact that Moorcock has spawned his own
set of protégés.  Among them I count M. John Harrison and China
Miéville.  Harrison...well, the *first* time you encounter the
psychopathic dwarf and the lacquered horse's skull with pomegranates
for eyes, it's really cool.  The seventh time, not so much.  That
said, I had a *great* time reading both _Light_ and _Nova Swing_.
Miéville I adore, although I have a possibly-uncomfortable feeling
that Bas-Lag is the Discworld done as steampunk (not that the
Discworld itself hasn't gotten there recently), and that the whole
thing *may* just be an extremely artful retelling of his group's D&D
adventures (_Iron Council_, in particular, gave me that feeling).

Adam