(urth) How list works and questions to mailers

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Sun May 11 14:24:34 PDT 2008

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Oliver Wakefield wrote:

> Hi
>
> Also where are you from? Im from the UK and ive only met one person whos
> read BOTN and this person someone who writes on sci fi. Is Wolfe bigger
> in the US, i'm imagining this list is primarily US?
>
> Thanks Ollie W

Hi, I'm writing from Australia, and there used to be at least one other
list contributor from Sydney, IIRC.  Here, at least, every new Wolfe novel
turns up in our local library, often with more than one copy, so I think
he's now seen as "worthwhile".  I read all flavours of book but still
love S(pec)F -- currently rereading Elizabeth Hand's _Winterlong_, a great
book greatly influenced by _New Sun_ (set in the City of Trees aka
Washington DC after the Second Ascension, full of Librarians, Botanists
and tribadists ;)), and Peter Watts _Blindsight_ (which also I guess has
Wolfean themes -- vampires, cerebral hemispherectomy).