(urth) How list works and questions to mailers

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sat May 10 23:40:11 PDT 2008

Welcome, Oliver!

Oliver Wakefield wrote:
>>In my first email on this list my text trailed off the end of the page -
is there anyway to keep the text within the window - sorry ive never used a
mailing list before.<<

I believe that you are referring to how your post appears online; that the
text shows up as one continuous line, requiring the reader to scroll way off
the page to the right, which is how yours shows up. It makes it hard to
read, too. <g> If this is what you are referring to, I believe that the
solution is a setting somewhere within whatever e-mail client (program) you
are using. If you can find the settings that govern the "Send"
characteristics of your e-mail, you may find a setting that automatically
wraps the lines at a chosen character limit. Mine is set for 76 characters,
and I don't have the problem.

>> I am just wondering which of you are sci-fi fans and which are general
readers. Also where are you from? Im from the UK and ive only met one person
whos read BOTN and this person someone who writes on sci fi. Is Wolfe bigger
in the US, i'm imagining this list is primarily US?<<

I suppose most people here are from the U.S.; I'm from Texas. Wolfe has
never been a big-seller, even by genre standards. I read mostly sci-fi and
fantasy, but not as much as I did thirty years ago, mostly because, as
someone has already said, so much of what gets published these days is crap.

-Roy