(urth) Sev's Silence about Catherine

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 20:09:29 PDT 2008

Roy C. Lackey says:

>Anyway, as I told you before, the text specifically states
>that Valeria's family "had given many castellans to the Citadel, but the
>last had died generations ago;".

Sorry I didn't remember that Roy; it must have been a couple years ago.
Good that you rememer clearly.  But didn't you prompt my response with
your earlier challenge?:

>If Valeria is Sev's sister and Ouen is not her father, that father
>must be accounted for.

I smell a set-up! ;-)

So it sounds as if Roy must espouse the alternate view that Valeria has no
father and  is a clone of Catherine.  Perhaps a long chain of clones which
would explain why she looked younger than Severian but had an antique quality
 that made her seem older than Master Palaemon.   (j/k Roy).

Speaking of clones, if kaibits really do exist in this world I've wondered about
their names. They must have names as they seem to have their own lives, not
just immobile vat women passively providing blood to their mistresses. My final
(in this round) speculation is that a kaibit would appropriately have a  name which
is derived from their mistress's name, but shortened. Examples might be
Josephina-Josepha, Catherine-Carina, Pelagia-Pega. Though they are of similar
height I wonder about Thecla-Thea. Perhaps that's what the unexplained "half-sister"
business is about? Another thought to consider is that the name Thea is a bit too short
to derive a shorter (saint) name from. Perhaps her kaibit is named Thais (Thea's).

-bsharp