(urth) Sev's silence about Catherine

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Tue Jun 24 01:20:31 PDT 2008

b sharp wrote:
> I find one VERY indirect clue of sexuality between Severian and Catherine.
> It takes some convoluted explaining.  I credit Robert Borski for noting that in UotNS,
> when Severian is cruising through the Secret House, he feels some deja vu when he
> looks down upon the Path Of Air from a loggia and sees a woman with "raven-dark"
> hair being escorted by soldiers. This woman's olive skin and "raven" hair is a very
> good match for Catherine. Her oval face suggests Pelerines.  Only two characters
> (that I know of) have "dark" hair and a "pale" gown: this one and the corpse with
> a livid face (Allowin's necklace?) Hildegrin digs up from the grave yard in the very
> first chapter.
>
> This woman's face has something in it that "tore at my heart" says Severian.  This phrase
> clearly invokes Valeria, who lives off the Atrium of Time which is definitely a time portal
> like Master Ash's house.  So perhaps this woman is Severian's mother, Catherine, who
> somehow got to the future but is being escorted back to her proper time.
It might help to revive another Robert Borski theory: that Catherine was
Valeria's daughter by her second husband. There's another clue I haven't
seen mentioned. In Chapter IX Sev sees a resemblance between the khabits
"Chatelaine Barbea" and "Chatelaine Gracia."  He says:

"There was something in the eyes of both women, in the expression of
their mouths, their carriage and the fluidity of their gestures, that
was one. It recalled something I had seen elsewhere (I could not
remember where), and yet it was new, and I felt somehow that the other
thing, that which I had known earlier, was to be preferred."

I take this to mean that he had noticed a strong resemblance between two
other women he had met. They could have  been Thecla and Thea, but that
would be too obvious. I think was Valeria and "Katharine."

The woman being escorted was probably of high rank (a Contessa, as in
the play), which is reasonable for the daughter of the Autarch. She
might have used Father Inre's mirrors or other House Absolute features
to escape from the flood into the past. As an unprotected woman in that
time the Pelerines might have looked like a good option at first. If
they didn't suit her, she might escape them and fall in with Ouen, and
so on.

If Sev in fact slept with his other grandmother, Valeria, then he had
two excellent reasons for silence about Catherine. The first was to
avoid a scandal. It was one thing to admit about Dorcas; he had broken
up with her. But Valeria was still his wife at the time he wrote "The
Book of the New Sun."  But even more critical for him was the fact that
Catherine wasn't born yet. To write about her might jeopardize her
existence, and therefore his own.

One problem with this theory is that Sev said the woman on the Path of
Air had a face that was "strange to me" and that "She was as lovely and
unknown at that final glimpse as at the first." Perhaps the "Katharine"
maid was a khabit  (or series of khabits) provided for the real
Catherine. Another problem is that the existence of the first Severian
shouldn't depend on a time loop.

I saw in some earlier messages that people are concerned that Talos'
play mentioned the Contessa sighting and the appearance of Baldanders
that last day of the autarchy.  That was "out of the loop" of the time
trip where Sev became the Conciliator, since he only saw it after that
trip and could not have told Canog about it (the first time, at least).
That's not an insurmountable problem. Sev said that he planned to make
more trips back to Os; on one of them he could have told someone about
the flood day. Canog might have picked up that information when looking
for more teachings of the Conciliator to flesh out his book.