(urth) The Severian Behind Curtain #3

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Tue Jun 17 00:42:11 PDT 2008

On Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:01:15 +1000 b sharp
<bsharporflat at hotmail.com> wrote:

>I must agree that in this situation the play's the thing! But if I

>remember
>Eschatology and Genesis correctly, the temptation is for Meschia,
>to which
>he succumbed with Jahi in the first creation and to which he
>probably will
>not succumb with the Contessa in the impending creation. Either
>way, the
>story would appear in Urth's legends thanks to Canog and a visual
>depiction
>would make an appropriate decoration for a brothel. Better than a
>Severian-Typhon image, anyway.

Doesn't one of the demons say something about "the woman tempted
me" not working this time around? I just assumed that Dr Talos was
working a variation on a story which closely resembled the ones in
Genesis. But I suppose even with that his original could have had a
Jahi tempting Meschia rather than serpent tempting Meschiane, and I
guess the erotic-mural possibilities are maybe better that way
(except for the hopefully very small minority interested in snake-
sex).