(urth) Other SF writers? (Was: How list works and questions to mailers)

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 13:08:46 PDT 2008

Fred,

> Delany: In addition to Empire Star and Babel-17, I'd recommend the short
> work The Star Pit and the novel Nova.

As would I (though "Star Pit" is included in the short story collection).

> Powers is a ton of fun. Some people have said that Neil Gaiman is
> "developing an American mythology". Powers was way ahead of him (I like
> Gaiman, but like Powers a lot more).

I think what Powers is doing is very different from what Gaiman is doing.
Powers is more truly *American* in his concerns -- not surprisingly, given
that NG is a Brit. Gaiman is giving a valuable outsider look at America as
myth; Powers is dealing with American myths, rather than the myth of
America.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes, writer, trainer, bon vivant
-----

I once absend-mindedly ordered Three Mile Island dressing in a
restaurant and, with great presence of mind, they brought Thousand
Island Dressing and a bottle of chili sauce. -- T. Pratchett