(urth) Dorcas and Fechin

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 16 07:23:30 PDT 2008

I like Thalassocrat's post connecting Dorcas and Fechin. Some new wrinkles I hadn't considered.
But if Fechin is Dorcas' father then Casdoe's (or Becan's?) father, as an age peer of Fechin, is REALLY
old. A generation older than Dorcas' husband who appears to be dead by the end of Citadel.

I'll resurrect some of my theory (as Dave Tallman remembers) that Fechin is Dorcas' husband, with an
additional twist:

DORCAS' HUSBAND                              FECHIN                                   FATHER INIRE

always losing material                      always losing material
    posessions                                          posessions

hangs out a lot in                              museum curator has                builds museums and is
a museum                                        a special fondness                   associated with the guild
                                                       for Fechin                               of curators

lives in a loft;                                   creative and artistic                   creative and artistic
married into an
artsy family

is short and bent                                                                               is short and bent

                                                    resembles a monkey                     resembles a monkey

attracted to very                                                                               attracted to very
young girls                                                                                        young girls

For me the shared constellation of traits ties these three characters together more than any two of them
can be tied together. especially if the blanks in the chart are filled in.  Perhaps all three are the same
person.  As the old Autarch fills multiple roles in Urth society, long lived Father Inire fills even more roles.
And the alien element in Severian's family tree explains for me the Oedipal problem, the Zeus references,
allusions to shapeshifters on Urth, and even all the different monkeys who seem to be peeking in on
Severian during his adventures.

(is Thecla's heraldry book with enameled illustrations meant to be connected to cloisonne?)

-bsharp