(urth) Dorcas and Fechin

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Mon Jun 16 03:55:10 PDT 2008

While trying to think up a devasting rejoinder to Roy's cogent
critique of my cosmic theory I took a break to wander through the
quagmire of Sev's parentage.

If his Sev-mojo was bred into him, can we find any trace of the
breeding?

I think Dorcas does display some signs. Her husband says that her
eyes opened as her corpse was being lowered into the water. When
Sev resurrects her, it seems he isn't doing all the work: she seems
to rise to meet him, with his sword in one hand and clasping his
with the other. In Hildegrin's skiff it is as if she has brought
forth a flower on the water, where there are no others.

So it's possible to see her as possessing some Sev-mojo, kind of
latent, brought out more strongly in the presence of Sev himself.

Moving forward a generation, Ouen seems like a total loss as far as
this goes. But his cloisonne enamel locket of Dorcas reminds us
that making these was the trade of Dorcas' father (and brother).

And I think there's at least a few hints that Dorcas' father was
actually Fechin. She's a good painter (with the backdrops of Dr
Talos' play); she is quiet and beautiful like the girlfriend of
Fechin described by Becan's father (Dorcas' mother?).

As far I can recall we are told of four Fechin works: a portrait of
Casdoe's father, a portrait of the girlfriend, a portrait of
Rudesind and a group scene with girls decking another girl with
flowers (conceivably, Dorcas on her wedding day?)

And maybe five if Ouen's locket is by Fechin too. Maybe Fechin did
other work as well, but he was definitely a portrait artist.

>From that to cloisonne enamel miniatures is maybe not a huge step.
Such miniatures often use a substrate of copper. Casdoe's father
says that Fechin stole his family's copper pan ...

And we have the scene quoted by Dave earlier, where Casdoe's father
recalls the old sick sun as briefly re-invigorated, when "the light
of it on Fechin's face was more than I could stand."