(urth) eclipse

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Jun 10 20:03:52 PDT 2008

Roy C. Lackey wrote:

> at the eclipse -that aphetas planet was actualy switched with the moon,
> producing the increasingly fierce tides and making the moon seem bigger.
> There is a scene when severian is simming and looks up to feel watched from
> the moon.  Unfortunately I really need to read urth again.<<<

> between apu punchau and the new sun<<<
>
> The bigger problem is that "aphetas planet", as you put it, is in a
> completely different universe from Lune.
>
> -Roy

She does use of a sort of dimensional portal to deposit Severian back on
the Ship, already back in Briah, and is visible to him for a while
after. (URTH, late Ch 22 - early Ch 23)  He records seeing her in place
of the moon while he scrounges among the wreckage of the flood in way
similar to that earlier appearance. (can't get Amazon's "look inside" to
let me check the chapter, but it's p. 340 out of 386 in the edition they
offer just now)

In the earlier sequence, Severian is unable to avoid entering the portal
and speculates it could be gravity or escaping air that forces him. If
it's gravity, then it's possible that the Yesodis can pipe in their
gravity as needed; if it's "just" air, they still may be able to bodily
portal in planets to provide gravity, though I doubt they'd remove their
own planet from Yesod.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >