(urth) The Apu-Punchau Eclipse

Eric Ortlund eortlund at briercrest.ca
Tue Jun 10 13:22:31 PDT 2008

Eric Ortlund wrote:

>I hope I'm not going to put my foot in my mouth here . . . but if I'm
>thinking of the correct scene, my understanding has been that Severian
>himself causes the eclipse - since he is, in his own body and person,
>the new sun, his own body is what causes the shadow to fall, since he
>is standing between the sun and the natives.  That's why they bow down
>to him.

Even the most ignorant savages can tell the difference between an
eclipse and a man's shadow. Dawn had been delayed by an eclipse. The
natives knew that the sun should have been up, so they feared that what
they had regarded as a boast by Severian -- that he was somehow
connected with the sun and its daily comings and goings -- might be
true. That is the point at which they bowed to him, *then* the sun came
out and cast his shadow over them. (URTH, XLIX, 350)

In a natural eclipse, the sun doesn't come back that quickly. It was a
staged event. The Ship can move out of the way much faster than the
moon, and it did.

-Roy

Hi Roy -

I think I understand you, but, instead of a difference between an
eclipse and Severian's shadow, I think the two are the same - Severian
is blocking out the sun behind him with his own body.  If that sounds
strange . . . well, he's the new sun!  I think this is a simpler theory
than positing the ship being there right at the same time, and I think
better fits with the way Wolfe hints at us in his own postscript to the
book.  Blessings!