(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Thu Jun 5 12:03:04 PDT 2008

*

b sharp wrote:

> For me, it is clear that Wolfe means to depict Urth as populated by a flawed
> race of people.  For the universes to have a better future, this flawed race needs
> to be wiped out, starting over from scratch.

Both of these moral arguments are missing something, in my view. They are
only concerned with what happens to the human race. Environmentalists call
this anthropocentrism, and they consider it a serious moral flaw. The whole
Urth and its ecosystem was at stake, not just humanity. Typhon's empire
started an interstellar war, and as a side effect the Sun was damaged. The
whole Urth would lose millions of years of life, for countless species and
new ones yet to evolve. Is it a good and just solution for the human race to
jet off into space and leave Urth to freeze? I don't think Wolfe would
agree, based on his short stories like "Beautyland." Shouldn't humanity pay
some price to put things right? (That's an argument that has some
application today, too).

What's so great about Ushas?  It might be awesome in the long run. When Sev
asked to find the garden, the Autarch opened a way to the Garden (though he
thought Sev wouldn't be permitted to enter, and he was right). It might be
the Edenic future of humanity in harmony with nature (as the Green Man also
indicated).