(urth) Severian as a student

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Wed Jun 4 15:35:27 PDT 2008

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 23:53:22 +1000 Tony Ellis
<tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com> wrote:

>For what it's worth, speaking as a copy editor I have absolutely
>no
>problem believing Wolfe could have made that mistake. Writers make

>all
>sorts of mistakes, and one I regularly see is the accidental
>substitution of one word for another that apparently sparked some
>of
>the same synapses in the author's brain.

Also for what it's worth, recall the old boatman talking about the
corpses submerged in the botanic gardens. He says the waters turn
their skin to leather - not like a boot-heel, but like a lady's
glove. Doeskin is/was I think a common material for gloves.

Probably doesn't mean anything, but maybe some context for an
accidental substitution by Wolfe.