(urth) Severian as a student

Tony Ellis tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com
Wed Jun 4 06:53:22 PDT 2008

Roy C Lackey wrote:
> The doeskin/manskin pouch thing is not as easily dismissed as most of the
> other mistakes. Doeskin and manskin have very different connotations. It is
> almost impossible for me to believe that Wolfe made that mistake. It is
> almost equally difficult for me to believe that dear Dorcas would sew a
> pouch made from human skin to house the most celebrated religious icon on
> the planet.

For what it's worth, speaking as a copy editor I have absolutely no
problem believing Wolfe could have made that mistake. Writers make all
sorts of mistakes, and one I regularly see is the accidental
substitution of one word for another that apparently sparked some of
the same synapses in the author's brain.