(urth) Sev the Murderer

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Thu Jun 5 03:52:56 PDT 2008

One of the first things Sev does in BOTNS is kill an innocent man
who is fighting to prevent the violation of his dead, who presents
no danger to him and with whom he has no quarrel.

"The second volunteer rasied his ax, then hesitated ... he circled
to get a clear stroke ... The ax rose; I grasped the helve just
below the head almost by reflex, and found myself at once in the
struggle, kicking, then striking. Quite suddenly it was over. The
volunteer whose bloodied weapon I held was dead."

The context makes it clear that the blood is the "second
volunteer's", and that Sev has killed him. Only later does Sev come
out and say explicitly that he did so. Perhaps somewhere he
expresses some kind of remorse or shows some empathy, but I don't
recall it.

Sev does this to protect Vodalus, of whom he knows practically
nothing except that he is a grave robber, apparently just because
he likes Vodalus' style: " .. it was that willingness [to die] that
kindled my admiration for him." And because he is attracted to
Thea.

The culminating point of Sev's sham "trial" in Yesod is when he
joins battle on the side of the eidolons against the sailors
fighting to prevent the destruction of Urth. (UOTN XXI) The
eidolons are weak at first, then appear to gain strength as he
focuses on them, and when he joins the battle, they triumph at
once.

There is a resonance here; once again he takes sides against the
real defenders in a cause he knows almost nothing about. He has no
idea who the Hierogrammates and Hierarchs really are, or what their
agenda is, or how it is to be accomplished. He had meant to
question Apheta the night before, but was distracted by sex. At the
crucial point, he chooses figments and fantasies over the lives of
real people.

This, I believe, was the point of his "trial" - willingness to
countenance the death of his fellows in a cause which he does not
understand, and which he makes no real effort to understand. But
right at the start of his story he demonstrates the characteristics
which led to his selection for the role.

(Part of Gunnie's role in the story is I think to give us a
viewpoint not infected with Sev's woolly mysticsm. She, like the
other sailors, doesn't seem particularly impressed with the Hiero-
dudes; should she be, after experiencing Tzadkiel's apparent
inability to maintain good order even on the Ship?

At any rate, she calls Apheta a whore.  (UOTNS XXIII)

Apheta: "On Urth, women who look as I do, do no work at all - or so
I have heard."
Gunnie: "Some do.")