(urth) Cabin on the Coast Question

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Wed Jun 4 22:12:19 PDT 2008

Michael Straight wrote:
> And Wolfe (and/or the King) is especially tricky because at first Tim
> is told "You'll serve for 100 years and then return" which makes it
> seem obvious that Tim would not age or would be magically made young
> again.  So then when the term is lowered to 25 years, we have the same
> expectation.
>
> Perhaps Tim would have been better off if he'd taken the original
> offer of 100 years?

I don't think so. Unless he closed that loophole as part of the bargain,
the King would be within his rights to leave Tim dying of old age at the
end of his service.

I noticed that the ship-creatures laughed at Tim after he touched his
forehead. They might have done this because touching one's forehead is
the first step in crossing oneself and Tim didn't follow through with
the rest. King Daniel and crew seem quite devilish to me. (They are
linked to Domdaniel, an abode of evil spirits which also gets a mention
in "Seven American Nights." The ship also reminds me of the ogre-ship
which carried off young women in the Theseus/Minotaur-like story "The
Student and his Son.")