(urth) Breakfast with Apheta

Stanisław Bocian sbocian at poczta.fm
Tue Jul 29 14:58:24 PDT 2008

Hierogrammates shouldn't be underestimated. They don't NEED Severian
to create the White Fountain, they can do it by their own technology.
However, they prefer not to act at all. They must be conscious that
they know the will of the Uncreate no better than anyone (the fable
of the cock and angel says this openly), and so perhaps are unwilling
to bear the guild for the mass murder on Urth.

Accordingly, they take care to do nothing themselves at all: Apheta's
explanation of their speech shows that they generally don't act
themselves, but only modulate the acts of others. The discussion of
Hierodules with Baldanders shows that they consider themselves not to
be guilty for so "modulated" actions of others.

And so, they needed Severian as an executioner who would lawfully
execute Urth. He had to be an autarch, so he could act as the lawful
representant of humanity. Except for that, he had no "magic powers".
The white fountain and Severian's connection to it was provided by
Hierogrammates - of course, in a way which absolves them of all guilt
in the matter.

 Stanislaus B.