(urth) Breakfast with Apheta

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Wed Jul 23 18:31:05 PDT 2008

Roy wrote:

--------------------------

On the morning after Severian bedded Apheta, she brought him
breakfast on a
tray. It consisted of "... small cakes, a carafe of cool water, and
cups of
some steaming liquid that looked like milk and yet was not milk."
(URTH, XX,
146) He ate one of the cakes and drank a cup of the milky fluid,
after
Apheta took a bite of one of the cakes. I think this was the only
meal
Severian mentioned having on Yesod, and I believe there is some
significance
to its components or their combination that eludes me. Any ideas?