(urth) Wolfe Heretic?

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 11:05:15 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 1:52 PM, Thomas Bitterman <tom at bitterman.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:30 PM, Paul B <pb.stuff at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In that case, I amend my reply about the justice of the crusades to "It is
>> not a sensible moral response to say that injustice following other
>> injustice is somehow more just".
>>

> This puts self-defense in a difficult position.

Of course not, you're being silly.  Self-defense is just.  The crusades had
nothing to do with self-defense.

>> Yes, the Muslims were certainly invaders, but does it mean that another,
>> wholly unrelated conqueror is somehow more justified in conquering them in
>> turn?
>>

> Yes.  In short, see World War 2.

You persist in silliness.  The factions that are considered "just" in that
war were not after conquest.

In a little more depth, the Crusades were just another in a long line of
> wars between countries.  There is nothing especially heinous about them that
> sets them apart from many other wars.  The idea that the big bad Christians
> sucker-punched the peace-loving natives is not based in reality.

Now you're making things up and pretending I said them, for which I applaud
your imagination.  What I did say was that conquest is unjust.