(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 10:55:37 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com> wrote:

> Even deontologists don't apply that standard absolutely. I've read that
> Kant argued it is always wrong to lie, even to a murderer asking for the
> location of his victim, but most say that the consequences of telling the
> truth require a lie in this case. The alternative to the New Sun was the
> Ragnarok future, in which the whole solar system dies and a pitiful remnant
> of humanity is evacuated. Is that the lesser of two evils?

 That's not a relevant question.  The heart of the matter is that an evil
course of action was chosen, lesser or not.  Thus, it's impossible to
consider the Hierogrammates to be untainted.

As far as other possible courses of action, speculation about evacuation not
being useful due to panic is weak at best. In more mundane evacuations panic
was seen as an acceptable alternative to mass death.