(urth) Wolfe Heretic?

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Wed Jul 16 11:21:49 PDT 2008

> On Jul 16, 2008, at 12:48 PM, John Watkins wrote:
>> Wolfe is not a heretic.  He plays with extra-orthodox but not
>> unorthodox ideas, if that's clear--he believes or seems to believe
>> many things that are permissible but not required for a Catholic,
>> but I've yet to encounter an overt endorsement of some doctrine that
>> Catholics are forbidden to hold in his works.

> So--and I mean this less snarkily than it sounds--he's sort of in the
> Mel Gibson camp then?

Does Mel Gibson reject Vatican II? If so, Mel Gibson is a heretic. I
believe that Gene Wolfe, in common with the current and the previous
popes, subscribes to a conservative interpretation of Vatican II, but a
council of the church is a council of the church, you can't pick and
choose amongst them and remain an orthodox Catholic.

.