(urth) Wolfe Heretic?

brunians at brunians.org brunians at brunians.org
Wed Jul 16 11:13:59 PDT 2008

> On Jul 16, 2008, at 12:17 PM, brunians at brunians.org wrote:

>>> Seriously: we're supposed to be talking about the writings of someone
>>> who is ... famously Catholic, with ... some really nonstandard
>>> theology,

>> I know Wolfe considers himself to be orthodox. What bits of heresy
>> do you accuse him of? I don't see any that's explicitly in there....

> The outright rejection of pacifism (which I believe is pretty clear in
> the interviews) seems to directly repudiate much of the Sermon on the
> Mount, which I think I am being pretty orthodox in believing to be
> among the very centralmost of Christian positions

It's not a position. It's a speech.

>                                                  (although, yes, of
> course you can point to the moneychangers, and, yes, then you can
> point to Christ carrying a scourge...

Also, render unto Caesar what is Caesar's (if called upon to serve in the
military, for instance). Pacifism is at best a Christian ideal, I don't
even know if it is that, there are so many exceptions for just wars and so
on.

>                                      but I think that most orthodox
> theologians would react pretty violently to the suggestion of Christ-
> as-Torturer, which is among the fundamental metaphors underlying the
> New Sun).

The ones I have discussed it with didn't think it was too extreme.

I don't think that Wolfe is the first person to point that whole bit out,
either.

.