(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Jul 10 21:20:30 PDT 2008

Paul B wrote:
>     I mentioned in my response to Jeff why I don't think it's proper, or
>     at least fun, to consider moral relativism.  If nothing else, it's
>     more fun to consider a problem than to dismiss it.  The destruction
>     of Urth is a momentous occasion and the climax of chiliads of
>     extensive planning, and I think that dismissing it as just something
>     to get done gives it too short shrift.

Dismiss it?! I've been discussing it with these fellows for years on the
list, and years before that on GEnie with mantiss and Hartwell and the
gang. Trying to reverse engineer a framework of moral philosophy is not
easy, and you being dismissive of me is not helping anyone.

> Eh, I suppose I got a little carried away there.  A redaction is in
> order: Of the women he's met, Severian does not, in fact, do Agia,
> Tzadkiel, or Madame Prefect that runs Matachin Tower in the Age of the
> Monarch.  I would attribute these omissions to lack of opportunity/time.

He actually declines to have sex with Dara, despite having "earned" it
and her being resigned to it.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >