(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 20:50:51 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 11:36 PM, Paul B <pb.stuff at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> goes back to my residual Kantianism.  For humans, our experience of the
>> world is always subject the conditions for sensibility, space and time.
>> That is, we _need_ time to be linear and run one way, or else our way of
>> representing the world goes to bunk.  But how does that apply to
>> Hierodules/-grammates? We know that they are not similarly bound by the
>> linear flow of time as humans are. Thus, the human moral fear of death, and
>> our value judgment of death as bad are because death represents the end, or
>> cessation of life.  But for beings moving the opposite direction (Barbatus,
>> etc.) or those capable of moving in any direction through the Atrium or
>> Madregot might have a different feeling about death.  So while we regard the
>> putative murder of the Urthlings as an immoral act, to them it might be the
>> height of morality because it paves the way for rebirth, or that worldly
>> death is not something they need fear.
>>
>> I forget who has it, but there is a contemporary writer who has a similar
>> response to the problem of evil.  He takes up the recent tsunami as evidence
>> that perhaps, in God's view, the death of people is not something to be
>> lamented, if we assume a beneficial afterlife for good people. I'm not
>> saying I buy it, mind you (in fact, I don't believe in gods of any sort) but
>> the argument is, I think, defensible.
>>

> I mentioned in my response to Jeff why I don't think it's proper, or at
> least fun, to consider moral relativism.  If nothing else, it's more fun to
> consider a problem than to dismiss it.  The destruction of Urth is a
> momentous occasion and the climax of chiliads of extensive planning, and I
> think that dismissing it as just something to get done gives it too short
> shrift.
>
> And as for Sev being a moral agent, well, we _all_ are moral agents,
>> whether we're conscious of our status as such. And I don't necessarily read
>> Severian's lack of introspection or analysis of his own actions as being an
>> inherent blindness in his person, but from the tone he takes he seems to be
>> attempting to give as objective a history as he can, not a memoir-ish
>> analysis of his own life.
>>

> It's I suppose a consistent viewpoint that the Hierogrammates are good guys
> and Severian's following them unquestioningly is harmless.  Thus, for
> example , when instead of taking the opportunity to question Apheta about
> what's actually going on he just does what he always does to all women he
> ever meets, it can be seen as a mostly harmless vice (though perhaps not
> quite worthy of the EPITOME OF HUMANITY).  "Consistent" is about the highest
> praise I can give to this sort of interpretation though.  However while
> Severian's character flaws might be surprising in his position as ambassador
> of a supposedly reformed humanity, they are certainly very fitting in an
> alternative position of puppet.  It's just a matter of which perspective one

Eh, I suppose I got a little carried away there.  A redaction is in order:
Of the women he's met, Severian does not, in fact, do Agia, Tzadkiel, or
Madame Prefect that runs Matachin Tower in the Age of the Monarch.  I would
attribute these omissions to lack of opportunity/time.

--
Paul Borochin
PhD student, Fuqua School