(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Paul B pb.stuff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 20:13:10 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:

> Paul B wrote:
>
>> Wha?!  Saying that murder on a planetwide scale is wrong is not an
>> inherently utilitarian statement but a very general one.  It doesn't assume
>> much about a moral framework, save one that places inherent value on life.
>>

> That would be "on individual *human* life." Life in general will benefit
> enormously from the coming of Ushas, returning to the world-wide range where
> it had flourished in eons past.

And this right here would in fact be a utilitarian argument - the greater
good is achieved (assuming Ushas is actually so great, but that's irrelevant
for the moment).  However, "murder is wrong" is not utilitarian, which is
what I was saying before.  It can be a general outcome of several moral
systems.

> --
> Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
> < http://www.io.com/~jwilson <http://www.io.com/%7Ejwilson> >