(urth) Sev's common lineage

b sharp bsharporflat at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 1 22:14:46 PDT 2008

Dave Tallman, to really give my theory about the Rudesind, Dorcas' husband and Fechin
a chance of plausibility, it must be understood that they are all versions of immortal,
shape-shifting Father Inire.  It is more of a thought exercise than a rock solid "belief"
or something I "buy into" and I'm not so sure it is fully defensible.  But, if I may submerge
 in it anyway for a post:

The scenario uses the model of the old Autarch, who serves as ruler, third bursar, pimp and
several other roles in society. Where did he get the idea of doing that?  If he, being human,
can play all those roles, I can imagine a shape-shifting immortal with access to time and space
portals with the ability to play far more roles.  It requires more deception than the old Autarch
uses and requires that when the Inire is discussing a different version of himself he uses that
version's name instead of "I".

We could leave Rudesind out for now and focus on Dorcas' husband who says,

"..Father Inire had the gardeners plant the averns.  I was here and saw it.  Just a little man he
 is, with a wry neck and bow legs."

I could translate to:

"I had the gardeners plant the averns. I was here and saw it. Just a little man I am, with a wry
 neck and bow legs".

And of course that description does fit Dorcas' husband speaking it. Severian specifically notes
his small size and bow legs.  I notice Severian encounters both Isangoma and Dorcas' husband
immediately after telling the Father Inire-Domnina story. As you suggest, Dave, I think there
are portions of this story which are meant as direct hints from author to reader without particular
regard to the actual plot.  And given Father Inire's apparent attraction to very young women, I
don't think his love for Dorcas is a contrivance for the New Sun at all. He really is sad and misses her.
We know that restoring life to the dead is not one of his race's powers but it is one of Severian's.
There might be a different purpose than the New Sun for manipulating Severian to the Lake of Birds.

If I was Roy I might ask why Severian, with the old Autarch's memories, doesn't know more about
Father Inire and his many roles.  I could try to invent an answer within the storyline but I think the
better answer is: Because Gene Wolfe intends to trick us and leave us in the dark, half-hiding things.
Tantalizing us with edge-of-meaning and almost-comprehension as a technique for imbuing a timeless
quality to his story.  But to successfully do this there has to be a real solution most of the time. And
that's a view of Wolfe one either has or doesn't.  That's the impression I get from studying so many of
the Wolfe interviews- that he isn't just splashing words on a page for effect.  He has a tangible concept
in mind as a basis for most of his vague, strange allusions.

-bsharp