(urth) Latin of the New Sun

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Mon Jul 21 15:47:19 PDT 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008, John Smith wrote:

> When Severian receives his sword, he says he had
> learned enough of ancient languages to know that
> "Terminus Est"  means "This is the Line of Division."
> (Shadow, XIV)   A simpler translation would be "This
> is the end."
>
> Is Wolfe making little jokes (showing that Valeria and
> Severian don't understand the dead languages as well
> as they think) or is there something deeper going on?

No, I think they are word games, that often have a depth to them.  Wolfe
delights in giving false etymologies, eg in _Peace_ for "brand new" and so
forth.  My hypothesis has been that he uses the same Shorter Oxford
Dictionary as I do, so for example "apheta [L f. Gk. aphetes starter,
sender off.] Astrol. = Hyleg.  Hyleg...Astrol. The giver of life in a
nativity" is funny, but the fuller definition of a hyleg by astrologers
isn't.

So in the case of "terminus" "2a Rom. Antiq. The god presiding over
boundaries or landmarkers ... 3. A boundary, a limit rare L17...4b the
point at which something comes to an end".

David Duffy.