(urth) Latin of the New Sun

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 13:38:03 PDT 2008

Consider Typhon's translation that it means "this is the place of
parting." I think that we're looking at is a bit of the indeterminacy
of translation.  First, assuming these really are in Latin (and not,
as GW seems to imply in the appendices, merely "a dead language" that
he is rendering in to Latin so that it appears to be "a dead language"
to us), I think that there are two nominal translations going on:  the
in-story translation of Latin to Commonwealth, and the meta-fictional
translation from Commonwealth to English.  As languages change,
conceptual schema change as well.  One concept in a certain language
does not necessarily connote the same in a different language, nor
does it necessarily denote the same as well.  Our anglicization of
"terminus est," for example, is to mean "this is the end."  But
realize that if we were to travel back in time to speak with a Roman,
conversing entirely in Latin, we would not be able to determine if
"this is the end" and "terminus est" are really conceptually
identical, because language is, to a certain degree, opaque, and our
understanding of it entirely external and performative.

What we're likely dealing with here is the original language A which
says, as we understand it, "terminus est."  But at two different times
during the history of the world, as that was translated in to
Typhonese (language B) and Commonwealth (language C) we find that
concepts have mutated, and the concept of "end" (stop, finish point)
has become "where things were parted" or "where things were divided"
through translations from A to B and A to C (or even B to C!).

Now, is Wolfe savvy enough to represent the indeterminacy of
translation while at the same time making little clues and jokes, such
as the association of divinity with the new sun, or telling us to
"look (them up) and see (what I'm trying to tell you)?"

Yes.

Best,
Lane