(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 20 13:51:26 PDT 2008

It's interesting that you accuse me of arguing in bad faith.  You seem
to believe that I have an agenda--namely, to show that Gene Wolfe is
some kind of "secular humanist."  I can assure you that this is far
from the truth.  My agenda, insofar as I have one, is to reconcile
what I consider to be the sine qua non of the New Sun books--that
Severian has a special destiny in the mind of the Increate--with what
I see as overwhelming evidence that the Hierogrammates are false
angels enacting a program of genocide.

I don't think that the source you linked does what you think it does.
It refers to Tzadkiel as an angel of mercy, not of justice.  The fact
that Tzadkiel also has a role in the angelic army doesn't make him an
angel of justice--it makes him an angel who fought against Satan.  I
don't think that fighting the Devil is morally equivalent to genocide
in any moral system I can think of.

Your point about the Biblical angels is half-right--the Biblical
angels do not work independently of God, but He of course may and does
work independently of them.  The Hierogrammates, however, most
certainly work independently of the Increate, or I'm at a loss as to
what the Cock, the Angel, and the Eagle tale means.  My point about
the Flood (which, again, Wolfe almost certainly does not believe in)
and other acts of divine punishment is merely that a presumption of
morality may be extended to the First Principle that is not extended
to intermediaries who admittedly are infinitely removed from Him and
may only guess at His will.  The Biblical angels have no such
restriction.--another point that militates against reading the
Hierogrammates as literal angels.

If you're unable to distinguish between world-wide genocide and acts
of warfare, then I'm afraid it's you, not me, that's struggling to
understand  Judeo-Christian ethics.  Likewise, the notion that the
Hebrews are "a race contaminated" in absolutely antithetical to the
contemporary Catholic Church, and the notion that the Hebrews are "a
race contaminated" due to the actions the God of the Old Testament is
a notion that has ALWAYS been condemned by orthodox Christianity.  The
Gnostic heretics may have viewed the Old Testament deity as an evil
demiurge, but the orthodox Christian faiths do not and never have.
This doesn't mean that Wolfe didn't use the idea of a demiurge, of
course, and the question of whether that's exactly what Tzadkiel is is
a worthy one.  Pas certainly takes that role.

Here's another way to put my point.  When a group of beings claim to
be angels, shouldn't the burden of proof be on them?  Especially when
they concede that:

1)  They are artificial lifeforms created/bred by humans
2)  They are not in direct contact with God
3)  They are not eternal
4)  They appear to exercise free will
5)  They, in fact, appear to possess none of the qualities accorded to
angels by Roman Catholic theologians (check out Thomas Aquinas on the
topic) except time-travel, a degree of immortality, and a mysterious
agenda.

In fact, if I called Dan Simmons's character, the Shrike, a name
ending in "-el" it would be just as good a match for an angel as
Tzadkiel.  And Simmons is Roman Catholic, so, by your argument, that
fact that the Shrike spends most of the first Hyperion book butchering
people isn't a sign that he's not an angel.  I like this new theory.
It puts Hyperion in a fun and entertaining new light.  The Shrike
Church is ctually doing the will of God.