(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

Adam Thornton adam at io.com
Wed Jul 16 10:42:49 PDT 2008

On Jul 16, 2008, at 12:25 PM, Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:
> While I didn't find your comment particularly inflammatory (I'm a
> bit biased
> against the target, so I'm not a fair judge), I think the claim that
> the
> comment was more than tangentially connected to the topic at hand to
> be a
> bit more of a stretch than even this group is accustomed to :)

It's a fair cop.

And, with regard to the Flood....perhaps modern society overly plays
DOWN the "death and" aspect of the death-and-rebirth that baptism IS.

That is....maybe baptism is SUPPOSED to make you feel like you're
drowning, and, if I were being--just suppose--a reactionary Catholic
who really thinks Vatican II was a lousy idea (this is a position I am
merely arrantly speculating about, with no indication that Wolfe
actually believes it)--I might actually *want* to revisit the idea
that my religion was, in fact, a much scarier thing than the smiling-
nice-forgiveness-and-bunnies-and-little-tweeting-birds thing that my
effete society would like to present it as.  (_Pirate Freedom_
certainly takes the position that mealymouthed-niceness-is-corrosive
pretty damn explicitly.)

So, let's remind the readers that rebirth means *having to die
first*....and, hey, for an encore, anyone want to talk about the brain
feast as Holy Communion?  One presumes it's a Black Mass--that is, a
ghastly *parody* of Communion--but I wonder if the opposite case can
be made?

Adam