(urth) What's So Great About Ushas?

John Watkins john.watkins04 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 10:58:04 PDT 2008

I don't think it means anything like the idea that everything is part of
God's plan and thus morality is meaningless.  I think it means something
much more mundane--that, as Severian himself notes "time turns our lies into
truths."  In an even less poetic phrasing, habituation works--we become the
thing we discipline ourself to feign being because that's how character is
shaped.

When the lie in question is that we speak for the divine, habituation and
the Increate together act to annex our actions.  For Patera Quetzal, a
bloodsucking alien pretending to be a kindly old priest, this meant that he
called off the human sacrifices and generally operated as a strong and
faithful leader for his flock.  For Kypris, and arguably even for Pas, it
means that the sham religion of the Whorl is still operating to some degree
to further the Outsider's ends.

I'm suggesting that a similar explanation could be at work behind the plans
of the Hierogrammates, although in a more opaque manner.  I am not
suggesting that there is no basis for judging the actions of the
Hierogrammates--their part in a divine plan could be necessary but
completely unwitting.