(urth) What's So Great About Ushas

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jul 11 15:03:35 PDT 2008

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:
>
>> The disappearance/ascenscion of the Hieros leaves a suggestive gap. Wolfe
>> may have borrowed a page from Teilhard De Chardin and had the Hieros join
>> with the Godhead at the end of their bang-gnab and relay an utterance from
>> the Increate before completion. The Hierogrammates would be working from
>> this received wisdom ever since, and are eager to uplift humanity to
>> Hieros-status so they can receive word from the Outsider if they have been
>> successful or not.
>
> Certainly a possibility. This begs the question though: is there textual
> evidence that they have, in fact, had a Word from God?

I'm hoping to gather some on my next, "Sister Juturna" read-through, as
soon as I can gather new copies of the volumes.

>>> Eh. It sounds to me like a terrorist group.
>> Not unintentional.
>
> ...heh...
>

>> I don't think there are billions left on Urth, millions perhaps. But where
>> will they put the millions in a colonized galaxy?
>
> South America alone has the teeming metropolis of Nessus, smaller cities,
> and North America has the hive-like Ascians. I would be surprised if Urth's
> population -- this is the "do-nothing" future -- is much less than that of our
> Earth today.

Nessus isn't exactly "teeming" as there are five buildings for each
inhabitant.  I'm skeptical of there being many Ascians in NA; what are
they eating, cans of Dinty Moore left from the Age of Myth?

> But, whether millions or billions, the question of "where to put them" is
> no greater here than it is in the Ice Future, where the HYs *do* evacuate
> Urth's population. If they can do it there, they can do it here. You played
> it for her, Sam, you can play it for me.

*Some* of the population, plus the ice future gives much more time to
depopulate Urth in small, easy to settle bites.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >