(urth) Graves etc.

Matthew Groves matthewalangroves at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 15:09:40 PST 2008

On 1/17/08, Roy C. Lackey <rclackey at stic.net> wrote:
> I know it upsets many long-held and cherished
> theories of Wolfe interpretation, which is probably why it has been widely
> forgotten, but it bears repeating.
>
> -Roy
>
>  "I read enough of THE WHITE GODDESS (which is still around here somewhere) to conclude that Graves, with all his talent, was a crackpot."

"Upsets" nothing!  Wolfe fans rejoice; you don't have to read The
White Goddess!  Philosophically, TWG is pretty much diametrically
opposed to Wolfe anyway, TWG being in part a sort of lamenting of the
great apostasy that is the shift from worship of the Goddess to
Judeo-Christian worship.

I do recommend Graves's book on the Greek myths -- very handy for the
etymology of names.  But it sounds like Frazer's The Golden Bough is
probably a better source Wolfe's reception of comparative mythology
and religion.