(urth) Some Pirate Freedom thoughts and questions

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 01:58:06 PST 2008

And there I thought my imagination was running away with me again. Dark hair
does seem more classically Italian.

So Chris is tall, dark, and genetically engineered. How long till we start
seriously discussing the possibility of Chris really being Severian(1)?

By the way, I think we should take some time and play the "Name Game" with
PF. We all know how much Wolfe likes names, and there's already been some
discussion in that vein here. Someone suggested Hoodahs (sic?) was a
variation on Judas? Lesage is literally "the wise," right? And Valentin
suggests St. Valentine, Roman martyr and the namesake for Valentine's Day.
"Christopher" is literally "Christ-carrier," and Chris seems to carry God's
voice around with him, what with the praying on the ship and his "vision"
before rescuing Hoodahs. Plus, Chrisopher is a good nautical name, not just
because of Columbus, who I know someone here mentioned, but also because St.
Christopher carried the infant Jesus over water (A river, I believe).

Also, why did Chris think Hoodahs came from the future? Just because he
spoke English under duress? Or did Chris have reason to believe there might
be other time travelers on the Spanish Main?

-Matt