(urth) Fuligin invented

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 12:57:23 PST 2008

That's one of the things commonly debated in sword-aficionado circles
(metallurgy, not Gene Wolfe). The problem is something on a more basic
level -- there is a constant, almost-perpetual trade-off between the
properties that make a sword useful. The harder something is (e.g.,
diamond) the more brittle it is in larger blades. But the softer
something is, the more of a chance it will set at an unnatural angle
or be impossible to sharpen.

Even with metals other than steel that display a greater strength
(e.g., titanium) there are other, associated defects. Titanium is
lighter than steel, which means that although you can create a
sharper, stronger sword out of it, it won't do you much of anything
insofar as cutting is concerned because there's insufficient weight
behind the blade to cut. In order for TE to be Hiero-something
technology, it would have to be made of a metal that surpasses the
current limitations of our understanding, not just our ability.

Which is not to say that in the context of a world where time travel
and the supernatural is possible that it would be unfeasible for TE to
be made according to magical/advanced technological rules (I'm
reminded of Heinlein's quote that one man's sorcery is another's
engineering), but rather that there is no good reason based on our
current metallurgical science to believe that such a material is
feasible.

In re: fullers

A fuller (erroneously called a blood groove since it does nothing with
blood) is usually just hammered in to the blade. It's done to either
reduce weight or to change the cross-section shape of the sword (which
is useful for various purposes). The reason why I'm skeptical (and I
am by no means the expert; I've asked the experts and am waiting on a
response) is that the hollow space in the middle of the blade would
necessarily take away from the shock-absorbing value of having  a mass
of softer metal in the middle of the blade. If you get a chance, go
handle a longsword or two-hander from a collector, or see if you have
a friend that has a functional replica made by a reputable company
(e.g., Angus Trim, Arms and Armor, Del Tin, etc.). Watch the sword
flex and look closely at the way it's constructed in the middle of the
blade. I can take pictures of my Viking sword at home (which has a
very wide fuller) and show you. It's a pressed/hammered fuller.

Lane