(urth) The significance of Apu Punchau

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Dec 30 22:04:20 PST 2008

David Stockhoff wrote:
> Pedro, by no means should you STFU. But please respond in plain text if
> you can. I've been forgetting, myself, but reading your posts reminded me!
>
> The iterative-Urth theory can't ever be totally dismissed, because the
> Hieros specifically have been granted the means and the arrogance to
> carry it out. But it seems like a huge waste of energy to me, both
> literally and figuratively. How much improvement would each iteration
> yield? How much micromanagement would be required, even if you assume
> that probabilities cluster for your convenience, and even if you assume
> vast computers run Yesod?

Assume? We are specifically shown the insides of the Yesodi's planet is
crammed full of machinery, and specifically told each archipelago is
dedicated to the destiny of a galaxy in Briah.

> At some point, the manipulative theories begin to ascribe so much power
> to the manipulators, Hiero or Increate, that the protagonist's struggles
> become meaningless. One may as well write a novel that consists of
> counting to 1000 and back again. That's what I refuse to accept, even
> though cyclicality clearly is a concept TBotNS plays with.

The Yesodis are very powerful, but they are also spread very thin - an
archipelago per galaxy implies Father Inire might be the only one that
can be spared to watch over Earth full time - so Borski might be right
about his many disguises, as he would have to wear as many hats.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.io.com/~jwilson >