(urth) AEG: a Wolder on Earth

stoneox17 at aol.com stoneox17 at aol.com
Tue Dec 23 12:38:30 PST 2008

Dave Tallman <davetallman at msn.com> says

> Sharon's knowledge of Reis' ex-wife and Rian suggests to me that they
> are local to Springfield. Her warning not to "brace them with it" (p.
> 25) tells me it's someone Cassie also knows. I think Norma is a good
> candidate for Rian's mother. Rian's mother named him (p. 277), and
Rian
> and Norma are both Gaelic names. Norma says she "used to be married
> the volcano god" but leaves it open whether she means Vince Palma or
> Bill Reis. I think it's the latter.

Just one comment: Springfield is the city where the first production of
"Dating the Volcano God" was held; it's around 100 miles (I'd have to
check my copy for the exact distance, if it's given) from the unnamed
city
where  Cassie and Sharon live, and where Gideon Chase is a Professor.
Since he teaches at Miskatonic University, this city is very probably
Arkham, Mass, although I believe there was some comment somewhere
in the book that implies that it's closer to Providence than the actual
fictional Arkham, Mass (which Wikipedia informs me is in Essex County,
Massachusetts).

Since Lovecraft lived in Providence (in actual life), this all fits
together.
Sorry, I don't have my copy here so I can't dig up these references.

Peter